My Favorite Face Sunscreens


Dear Readers,

I realize now that I am terrible at consistency and maintenance. This blog has been deserted for way too long. I promised to post various topics, yet I have not fulfilled even one. But then again the words of this homegirl are usually not to be trusted anyway, so it's technically your fault if you expect the moon from me. 😈 My sincerest apologies. I've been busy with school... and life in general... though I don't know if that's a good thing. But, anyhoots! I'm here, everyone.

Summer is here and everyone wants to go out to enjoy the sun. That's great, of course; you go get that Vitamin D! Except it's so important to protect our skin from the dangers that the otherwise wonderful sun can pose, and by that I mean the evil, evil UVA and UVB rays. It's also important to note that the sun is always there all year round. It's not like it's off to some other galaxy during the other seasons. It's there, even if you don't see it! Which means that y'all 👏 gotta 👏 protecc 👏 yo 👏 skin 👏 all 👏 day 👏 err 👏 day 👏.

A good way to protect your skin from the sun is to slather your whole face and body with sunscreens. I study psychology in the academia, so I'm in no way an expert at the science behind the effectivity of sunscreen use in protecting the skin against harmful rays and ultimately reducing the risks of skin cancer. I am also not too familiar with the exact operational definitions of the terminologies that appear on sunscreen labels. However, I am able to sum up and provide you with pointers on what to see on a sunscreen label that can tell you whether said sunscreen is great, or not so great.

By now you would probably have successfully inferred that that means not all sunscreens out there are created equal, and you would be correct to assume so. Without further ado, here I shall inform you on the kind of sunscreen you need to have:
  • For every day use, at least an SPF 30. We generally use way too little than the recommended amount, so an SPF of lower than 30 might give you very little protection, if even any. For going to the beach (which I don't do because seawater is sticky) or other activities that would require you to be outside in the sun for a long period of time, such as playing volleyball with friends (which I also don't do because I get sweaty AND I have no friends), it would be advised to use sunscreens with an SPF 50.  
  • A "PA+" (the more pluses the better). Unfortunately if you live in the United States this might be a little difficult to find since they have certain regulations and their own sunscreen ratings, so instead you would perhaps look for a "Broad Spectrum" on the label.
  • A "UVA" circle and "UVB". This means the sunscreen is effective in protecting your skin against UVA and UVB, not just the other.
That is all, I think. It would also be nice if you have a separate sunscreen for the face, because some sunscreen formulations can clog the pores. And now, we've come to what the title of this post meant to elaborate on: my favourite sunscreens for the face!


#1 : Galderma Benzacare Anti-Roodheid Creme (Anti-Redness Cream) SPF 30 (€ 9.50 at bol.com)

INGREDIENTS: AQUA, OCTOCRYLENE, ISOPROPYL LAUROYL SARCOSINATE, GLYCERIN, ETHYLHEXYL SALICYLATE, DIMETHICONE, BUTYL METHOXYDIBENZOYLMETHANE, DIISOPROPYL SEBACATE, SILICA, POLYMETHYL METHACRYLATE, SUCROSE TRISTEARATE, ALUMINIUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE, PENTYLENE GLYCOL, POLYSORBATE 61, ALLANTOIN, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, CARBOMER, DIMETHICONOL, DISODIUM EDTA, GLYCYRRHETINIC ACID, HYDROXYPALMITOYL SPHINGANINE, PANTHENOL, PHENOXYETHANOL, POTASSIUM SORBATE, SODIUM STEARYL GLUTAMATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, TRIETHANOLAMINE, XANTHAN GUM, ZINC GLUCONATE. FIL.0494.V01

I know, I know. It's not actually a sunscreen. However, it does have an SPF 30, UVA UVB (see yellow label on the bottom of the tube). I used this throughout the fall and winter months because my face gets so dry and red when the air is cold. It smells straight up like liquified pills - not appealing in the least - but it's SO GOOD. It's meant for those with acne, and I do suffer from the occasional breakouts; but this is unlike other acne-fighting products that I've seen, especially in the drugstore. Those products tend to be drying and mattifying, because they're typically meant for oily skin; but this one provides enough moisturization for me even during the snowy months. 

It claims to reduce redness in seven days. I guess I can say that it does, seeing as my cheeks don't ever get red when I use this. It's the perfect sunscreen/day cream/moisturizer for me, as it can be difficult to find acne-fighting creams for people with dry skin. Finding this gem in Etos was serendipity. Unfortunately, I never see it in stock anymore, so if you can't find it in Etos, then you can always try purchasing it online.


#2 : First Aid Beauty 5 in 1 Face Cream SPF 30 (€ 36.00 at eu.feelunique.com)

INGREDIENTS: OCTINOXATE 5.6%, OCTOCRYLENE 7.5%, ZINC OXIDE 4.8% INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: WATER (AQUA), GLYCERIN, DIMETHICONE, CAPRYLIC / CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE, C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE, HYDROGENATED LECITHIN, CAPYLYL METHICONE, COPAIFERA OFFICINALIS (BALSAM COPAIBA) RESIN, PHENYL METHICONE, ENTEROMORPHA COMPRESSA EXTRACT, CAESALPINIA SPINOSA GUM, BISABOLOL, ALPHA ARBUTIN, PHYLLANTHUS EMBLICA FRUIT EXTRACT, GLYCYRRHIZA GLABRA (LICORICE) ROOT EXTRACT, CAMELLIA SINENSIS LEAF EXTRACT, CHRYSANTHEMUM PARTHENIUM (FEVERFEW) EXTRACT, HYDROXYLATED LECITHIN, POLYSILICONE-11, METHICONE, POLYHYDROXYSTEARIC ACID, HYDROXETHYLACRYLATE / SODIUM ACRYLOYLDIMETHYLTAURATE, COPOLYMER, ISOXEDANCE, POLYSORBATE 60, XANTHAN GUM, SODIUM BENZOATE, POTASSIUM SORBATE, GLYCERYLPOLYACRYLATE, CITRIC ACID, PHENOXYETHANOL

Again, I'm cheating. This isn't solely a sunscreen. It's also pretty expensive. However, it does more than just protecting the skin (hello, 5 in 1?), which to me justifies the price point. Also I got it on sale for € 28.00 on Feel Unique so that makes it even better, haha.  

As you can see from the bottle above, it claims to reduce the appearance of wrinkles; I don't have any prominent wrinkles as of now, as far as I know, so I can't really test that out for you. It also claims to correct uneven skin tone; I've only been using this for about two months now, so it's not even yet half used up. I guess I'll let you know once I'm done with the bottle. It has a UVA circle on the label, which means that it's clinically proven to protect the skin against UVA rays. It also filters UVB rays and claims to fight free radicals. It has SPF 30, which is enough protection for me who rarely ever goes out in the sun.

But all of those aside, the most important thing is that it's such a great moisturizer. It says that it's fragrance free, but honestly, the scent is a little funky. I don't know how to describe it. Maybe a little like that distinctive smell you get in the doctor's office or hospitals? It's not strong or overpowering, though, so I personally don't mind it at all. The consistency, however, is absolutely dreamy. It gets absorbed really fast and leaves behind a smooth, protective layer. The fact that it also comes in a pump dispenser bottle makes it just perfect. I don't mind products that come in tubes like the Benzacare, but pumps are even better! I want to say 10/10 but of course all the products that I show here are going to be 10/10 for me - they're my all-time favorite sunscreens!


#3 : Ultrasun Face Moisturising Anti-Ageing Sunprotection SPF 50+ (€ 28.00 at eu.feelunique.com)

INGREDIENTS: AQUA, ISOSTEARYL ISOSTEARATE, METHYLENE BIS-BENZOTRIAZOLYL TETRAMETHYLBUTYLPHENOL (NANO), PENTYLENE GLYCOL, ETHYLHEXYL TRIAZONE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (NANO), BIS-ETHYLHEXYLOXYPHENOL METHOXYPHENYL TRIAZINE, DIETHYLAMINO HYDROXYBENZOYL HEXYL BENZOATE, ETHYLHEXYL SALICYLATE, GLYCERIN, C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE, CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE, SQUALANE, POLYACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER-6, COCOGLYCERIDES, HYDROGENATED PHOSPHATIDYLCHOLINE, ECTOIN, SILICA, VITIS VINIFERA SEED EXTRACT, CETYL PHOSPHATE, ALCOHOL, T-BUTYL ALCOHOL, LECITHIN, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, ASCORBYL TETRAISOPALMITATE, TOCOPHEROL, DIISOPROPYL ADIPATE, UBIQUINONE.

Finally, a legitimate sunscreen in a post dedicated to sunscreens! Not only does this have SPF 50+, it also boasts the UVB+UVA circle and PA++++. The label further says that it has a UVA absorbance rate of 95% and infrared-A protection. I don't know what that means, of course, but we probably need it (I'm such a perfect target for marketing ploys). It claims that it is anti-aging, but I would imagine all good sunscreens to be anti-aging, since that's what you do when you protect the skin against ultraviolet rays (which can cause aging). All in all, this sunscreen is made of potent stuff.

Also, I got this on sale at Holland and Barrett's for € 16.00, so I'm pretty much in love. 

The reason why my other two favorite sunscreens aren't actually labeled as 'sunscreens' is because most sunscreens I've tried break my face out (terrible times). A lot of sunscreen formulations are thick and can really clog your pores, and my skin just so happens to be highly susceptible to the clogging of pores. This particular one, however, is made for sensitive skin and has a beautiful thin consistency. It seems to have tiny particles immersed within the white fluid that disappear and amalgamate once rubbed. I don't know what they are, but I like that it sort of provides unintentional exfoliation. God knows I need to exfoliate more.

(Left to right) Benzacare, First Aid Beauty, Ultrasun

Crappy swatching in action

From the dots and swatches above, you can tell that the First Aid Beauty cream is pale yellow in color, whereas the other two are basically white. However, all would disappear into virtually nothing once massaged into the skin. I'm glad to report that these don't give you a white cast! The Ultrasun sunscreen gives a slight more sheen than the other two, so I recommend putting on a little setting powder if you don't wear makeup. It's also important to note that I have dry skin, and aside from protecting against the sun, these creams provide some legit moisturization as well. It's because I'm lazy; my sunscreens have to double up as my morning moisturizers. I think oily-skinned individuals would still be able to get by with the Benzacare, but I'm not too sure about the First Aid Beauty and Ultrasun. For a more comprehensive buying guide to sunscreens for various skin types, I would recommend these reads:
  • Reviews: The Best Sunscreen - This dedicated research team tested 135 sunscreens available in the US to find the best of the best. The article is extra informative; it provides you with their thorough step-by-step process of finding the best sunscreens. Fun read!
  • Independent: 13 Best Facial Sunscreens - A review of the best sunscreens available in the UK.
  • More great articles on which sunscreen is suitable for which skin type on Bustle and Stylecaster.
Well, that is all I have to say regarding sunscreens, I think. I hope everyone is a lot more aware of the importance of regular sunscreen use after reading this post as well as the articles I've linked above. Have a great summer holiday - don't forget to pack your sunscreen with you!
      

Comments

Popular Posts